Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Swiss Alps...Swiss Cheese Fondue...Swiss Chocolate...MMM

This weekend we took a bit longer trip to what I think will end up being my favorite country...Switzerland!  It was so gorgeous--I just couldn't believe that everything I saw outside was actually real!  We started the weekend in Geneva.  It truly was an international city, built around the lake with some of the prettiest blue water I had ever seen.  There were so many parks and green space, too, so it was relaxing just to sit in the sun and watch the sailboats.  We took a bus to the top of the city, and I think we actually crossed into France for a couple minutes, but I will definitely have to go back in order to say I've been there.
The next morning we went to Interlaken, which I had heard was beautiful, but when we arrived there was a snowstorm and there were so many low clouds we couldn't even tell we were in the mountains.  I was a little disappointed because we had planned on going hang gliding when we got there, but it just wasn't possible.  Instead, we found a spa in town and got to try out some different saunas, steam rooms, and whirlpools, which made up for not being able to enjoy the outdoors. 
The next morning, however, we woke up to the most beautiful day ever--perfect for hang gliding!  The view from the top of the mountain was breathtaking, and hang gliding was AWESOME!  It was so much fun, but over way too soon.  Here is a picture of me in flight with my pilot Ed.  I loved just being in Interlaken--such a cute little mountain town with hardly any residents and even fewer tourists because skiing season is coming to a close.  It was nice and peaceful, and with a day like Monday, I could have stayed there forever the scenery was so amazing.For our last stop we visited Zurich.  I also really enjoyed this city--another small city (although large for Switzerland, but much calmer than Prague).  I like cities of this size where you can spend a couple hours and see all the main sights and still have plenty of time to relax.  We spent a lot of time on the main shopping mile, which is equivalent to 5th Avenue in New York.  After a long lunch and some souvenir shopping, we decided to call it a day and head back to Prague.  It had been nice to stay in one place for a day, but I will be headed out again tomorrow to go to Denmark to visit a friend.  I am really excited to see her and see Copenhagen!

I am working on getting all of my pictures from Switzerland online, but in the meantime I have uploaded all of my photos from Glasgow, Scotland, so click here to see those!

No comments: